Medical education in the United States: a review of universities, conditions of admission and training
Medical education in the United States: a review of universities, conditions of admission and training.
Before receiving medical education in the United States, you need to apply. To do this, foreign students must have a bachelor’s degree with the necessary level of specialization for a particular medical educational institution. Preconditions are different, but necessarily include the following scientific courses: biology, general and organic chemistry. Some institutions require applicants to study other humanitarian, mathematical and natural subjects, so these requirements must be known in advance in order to study them at a university.
Basic admission requirements
All applicants wishing to receive medical education in the United States will need to pass the MCAT test, which determines the ability to think critically, solve problems, and write clearly in English. The test allows you to assess the knowledge of various scientific concepts in the applicant. A good MCAT score is the key to enrollment. After a bachelor’s degree and a sufficient MCAT, the next step is to apply.
A foreign student, unfortunately, is always at a disadvantage compared to local applicants. Many state-funded colleges are required to allocate part or all of their public funds to students who are state residents. This is mainly done to ensure that there are enough doctors in the area, but this puts foreign students at a disadvantage in the selection process.
Foreigners wishing to receive medical education in the United States may apply to private universities, but training will be much more expensive. Each applicant will have to weigh the pros and cons of each available option and choose which suits him. There are 172 medical schools in the US that offer the degree of doctor of medicine (MD) or doctor of osteopathic medicine (DO).
Requirements vary across institutions, so it’s best to check them before submitting your application. All medical schools in the United States require not only a bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject, but also scientific knowledge in the field of biology, general chemistry and organic chemistry. For example, the University of California requires that during the preparation of candidates in the medical field, they study general chemistry for one year in the laboratory, organic chemistry for two quarters, physics for one year, and general biology for one year.
US medical schools require foreign applicants to take a course in America before applying. Some require a year of study in the United States, while others ask that all of the prerequisites for the right school be fulfilled in the states.
Before receiving medical education in the United States, you will need to complete training in this country at the level of one to two years with an emphasis on prerequisites and biology courses for high school students. These courses take place in a four-year institution, and not in college. An undergraduate program is a good option and is acceptable in many schools. The applicant will also need to have clinical experience working in hospitals with doctors, and it is essential to continue this activity in the United States before applying for medical school.
This is necessary in order to demonstrate to medical schools that the applicant is familiar with the American health care system and labor culture in the country. This experience will help improve language skills, develop strong communication skills in communicating with the patient, and are crucial to success as a medical student.
English proficiency level
A sufficient level of proficiency in English will affect medical school, it will also play a key role in academic achievement. In the MCAT sections “Critical analysis and reasoning skills”, as well as in the “Psychological, social and biological bases of behavior” sections, an applicant should be able to read, understand and analyze the English text on a wide range of topics.
The applicant will need to work a lot to improve their language skills by attending courses in English writing and literature, reading books in English and developing their communication skills. In the AMCAS application, the applicant indicates the languages they speak. Most US medical schools require an entrance exam to the Medical College (MCAT).
The exam is held several times a year in many places in the USA and abroad. A complete list of countries and specific testing sites can be found on the MCAT website.
The exam is always conducted in English regardless of the country of residence. The name for registration and passing the exam is also in English, and it should be displayed in the same way as on the MCAT-Accepted ID.
Transcripts and term papers Some
American medical schools accept and enroll a small number of foreign students in their programs. Medical schools in the United States have different rules for accepting international applications, so it is important to clarify the policies of each school before applying. In 2018, 49 schools indicated in the Requirements for Admission that they accept applications from foreign applicants. You can read the admission policy on the profile website in the section “Deadlines and Requests”.
Most US medical facilities use the American Medical School Admission Service (AMCAS) to simplify the application process. It should be borne in mind that AMCAS does not accept foreign transcripts (or translated / evaluated transcripts) or term papers for application, unless they have been accepted by an accredited American territorial or Canadian institution of higher education.
Such works can be presented with the understanding that they will not be checked and the average AMCAS score (GPA) will not be included. However, individual medical schools may ask the applicant to submit a transcript through their secondary application. Curriculum systems are different from foreign schools, and medical schools need to evaluate the progress of applicants in the program at a four-year accredited US school.
Citizenship and Visa Status
For applicants coming to the United States, three different student visas are available:
Visa F1 – issued to persons to attend the academic program and is valid until its completion.
J1 Visa – issued to students on the exchange program.
Visa M1 – for students who plan to attend non-academic (technical) or vocational schools.
Medical schools basically require an F1 visa, as this is the most common student visa in the United States.
Applicants must meet several strict criteria:
– Students must have a residence in their own country, where they must return after completing their studies.
– Students can study only in an accredited institution. – Applicants must demonstrate the necessary financial support. Unfortunately, the required monthly amount is not officially defined.
– Students must demonstrate that they have close ties with their home country, for example, a letter about a job offer after graduation, personal assets.
– Proficiency in English is not required for a visa, but it is necessary for admission to the university.
Visa applications will require the following:
– Certificate of eligibility for student status, not immigrant (F-1), received from the university, SEVIS fee ($ 200).
– Receipt of a paid application fee of $ 160. in the country of residence.
– DS-160 online form for nonimmigrant visa.
– Documents confirming the financial situation (bank statement) or financial support during training.
– Standardized latest digital color photo.
– Transcripts, diplomas, degrees or school certificates. Student visa is valid for the period of study. After completing their studies in the USA, students are allowed to stay in the country for another 60 days. Students with an F1 visa can only get a part-time job on campus. The entrant will be allowed to arrive in the USA 30 days before the start of classes. If he cannot complete the program at a predetermined time, an international consultant can help request an extension of the program. If the passport expires, the consulate or embassy of his native country can help him to extend it.
Different universities have their own admission rules. The university will inform the applicant that he must provide and determine whether you have the right to study. Among other requirements, you will need to show the university that he has enough money to support himself during his studies without having to work, and will have to show medical insurance to cover any medical expenses if any medical assistance is required. As soon as the university determines that the application is completed and the applicant has academic rights, they will issue an I-20 form so that he can apply for a student visa.
American Medical College
To apply to most medical schools in the United States, the procedure is performed through the Application Service of the American Medical College (AMCAS).
But if you are applying for an MD program at the University of Texas, you must apply to Texas Medical and the Dental Schools Application Service (TMDSAS).
AMCAS will deliver the application to US medical universities for Russians, including work experience, course transcripts and extracurricular activities and MCAT results in selected schools. Some schools also request additional materials in the form of essays or letters of recommendation. This is known as a secondary application, and charges may apply.
The AMCAS fee for applying to one medical school is $ 160, and adding additional schools to the application costs another $ 38. Applications open in the first week of May and remain open until June.
MCAT Tests and Points
A score is a very important requirement for studying medicine in the United States, as it determines the possibility of enrolling in a university.
MCAT tests the ability to critically think and the scientific knowledge of the applicant. You need to take the test a year before you plan to study medicine. Therefore, you need to register for the MCAT on time. Higher medical education in the United States provides for a 4-year period, then there will be a residency for a period of 3 to 7 years, where students are trained under the supervision of specialists in a particular field.
International students can also get a scholarship. The first year of study will require a large amount of knowledge in anatomy, histology, pathology and biochemistry. These classes will be held in classrooms and laboratories. The student will also undergo clinical rotation throughout the entire period of education. This will allow you to more fully learn about the future career of a doctor. Clinical rotations will occur more and more as we approach the completion of training.
Before a student can obtain a doctorate in medical sciences in the United States, he will need to pass the United States Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE). This test is divided into three parts that the student will take throughout the entire period of study. The first part is usually carried out after the second course, the second part – in the fourth year, and the third part – after a year of practice. Each test is different from the other, and is designed to ensure that the student meets certain standards set in the United States.
In the US, being a good doctor does not mean just doing an excellent job — it also implies honest concern for the welfare of the patient in all its aspects.
This includes the ability to communicate and listen to your patient, which is required at any school or university in the United States, regardless of the curriculum.
According to the requirements of the AMA (American Medical Association) teaching style is largely focused on the problematic teaching method.
The main specialties that you can choose to study in the US:
– Public health.
– Veterinary medicine.
In addition to the basic courses, which can be mainly studied in any medical school around the world.
In the USA, special attention is paid to educational programs that are related to psychology, patient care, interpersonal skills and ethical principles. In addition, some universities also include sociology and foreign language courses in the first and second year of study.
Four-year education process
In the first year, Harvard University focuses on basic and clinical research courses. Students will study biology, chemistry and anatomy. There will be many other subjects to study, because in these courses the student builds his future profession.
During the second year, a lot of time is devoted to consolidating the knowledge gained in the first year in the basic sciences. This will be done through clinical practice. In addition to these, new courses will be added: a hands-on clinical skills course and a global health course.
In the third academic year, Yale University will focus on clinical rotations, during which the future physician will become familiar with areas of special medicine, such as general medicine, pediatrics, psychiatry, neurology, radiology, and others.
At the 3rd course, the student makes a choice of specialization in which he will practice. In some universities, such as Columbia University, this year is called the Year of Differentiation and Integration.
The 4th year is the practical application of a future medical specialty.
Top US Medical University Ranking 2019
Research is a fundamental feature of medical schools in the United States, and the American Institute of Higher Education, in conjunction with Columbia University, allocates huge funds for research.
As a student, you can take advantage of this great chance to gain access to research resources and advanced technologies and become part of amazing world discoveries in the field of medicine.
Top 2019 US medical schools:
1) Harvard University, Boston, Massachusetts. Medical School at Harvard University, application deadline is October 22. Application fee $ 61,600.
2) Johns Hopkins University Baltimore, application deadline is October 15. Application fee $ 53,400.
3) California Medical Faculty of Stanford University, the application deadline is October 1. Application fee $ 58,197.
4) Perelman Medical School at the University of Pennsylvania, the application deadline is October 15, the cost of training is 57,884 US dollars.
5) Columbia University (Columbia University), application deadline is October 15, the cost of education is 72,110 US dollars.
6) Faculty of Medicine at the University of California at San Francisco, the deadline for applications is October 15. Tuition $ 34,977.
7) The New York College of Doctors and Surgeons at Columbia University, the deadline for submitting applications is October 15, the cost of education is $ 61,146.
8) David Geffen School at the University of California at Los Angeles (Geffen), the cost of medical education in the US – 35 187 dollars.
9) The faculty of Washington University in St. Louis, the deadline for applications is December 1. Application fee 65,044 US dollars.
10) Weil Medical College at Cornell at Cornell University (Weil), application deadline is October 15, the cost of training is 57,050 US dollars.
11) Medical School of the Mayo Clinic (Alix), application deadline is October 1. Application fee 55,500 US dollars.
12) Yale University (Yale University), the estimated cost of visiting students $ 75,925.
When preparing for admission to medical school, it is recommended that you work with an admissions consultant.
This person can help decide which courses to take and when, and provide valuable feedback on the application. If the applicant does not have access to a health consultant at the school chosen by the university, you can find him on the NAACP website.
Algorithm of actions:
– Check available places in the magistracy, which of the degrees corresponds to the education and interests of the applicant.
– Begin the application process, fill out the student profile.
– After that, one of the consultants will contact the applicant, who will help him in the future.
– Choose the university to which you need to apply, and receive a letter of acceptance (Form I-20) from the university to begin the visa application process.
– Get an F1 visa.
– Preliminary advisory websites of student institutions across the country advise their students to obtain financial resources for training at an American medical school, for foreigners this is very unlikely.
– The greatest difficulty that students from abroad face or those who do not have a certain legal status of a resident is the inability to get access to federal student loan funding. The website of Yale University notes that scholarships for medical school are rare even for applicants from the United States, not to mention foreigners.
Before you enroll in medical schools in the United States, conduct a thorough study of universities, vacancies, the cost of education and accommodation, as well as a package of necessary documents. This may seem obvious.
But depending on the stage of the search at a medical school in the United States, this stage is the most important in order to avoid potential frustration or missed opportunities in the future. Determining financial aid policies for foreign students in selected schools is even more important, as some schools require four years of education, credited to an escrow account (or third party) or proof of assets worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. If schools do not require financial information, they may need it to apply for an F-1 student visa.
A good place to start is the website of the National Association of Health Care Professionals, which provides an exhaustive list of school-specific rules on how they define “foreign students” and what opportunities these students can have.
Consider completing some coursework in the USA. Schools accepting foreign candidates usually require a bachelor’s degree from an American educational institution, or at least one year of study in the United States. Schools prefer that coursework in the American school be conducted in the natural sciences. International students should have solid research experience and devote themselves to the career of a physician-scientist.
Schools highly value the career ambitions of applicants, since training for these programs can cost more than $ 350,000. The list of institutions offering positions in the Medical Scientists Training Program is available at the National Institutes of Health.